This semester in school I had the awesome opportunity to work on a social media campaign for a charity that does dental work for impoverished people in other countries. The situation was a bit complicated because our messages, though aimed at the patient, had to go through the dentist to reach the patient because we didn’t have access to patients, yet. The charity had not had its own Facebook page or Twitter account before so we made those and then we put together a plan to get followers and reach.
To raise awareness and generate excitement we asked the dentists that are a part of the charity to follow us and to share us with their patients. This did not get us as many followers as we hoped, so we tried to reach out to more of them by liking their pages, sharing their posts, and commenting on the conversations that they were having. Initially this got great results, but over time we saw diminishing returns.
In order to keep the momentum going we went and visited two participating dentists offices and filmed the dentist and his hygienists talking about their experiences with the campaign. I formatted the videos and posted them on the Facebook page to hopefully drive more sharing and reach.
In the end we were just a little disappointed with the results; we we hoping for much more interaction and shares by patients. But we think we set a strong foundation for next years campaign. The Facebook and Twitter have been established; they have pictures, videos, notes, and some followers. Anyone visiting has a place to learn more about the charity and to interact with it, and we think if this campaign is continued it can grow significantly every year.